Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Need Structure

I need routine, order, patterns, plans, a schedule.......whatever you want to call it. Maybe I am a control freak. Maybe I have a disorder. Whatever it's called, I was lacking last Sunday. It was our Stake Conference and we had every intention of going. Our mistake was staying up until 11:30 to watch the Jazz in a playoff game the night before. By the time we rolled out of bed the next morning, we only had 45 minutes to get everyone ready and out the door. So we decided to stay home. A full day of nothing to do! Great, right? No, not with children. With no schedule it was nice to get breakfast and get ready at our leisure. But by lunchtime, Emma was bored and asking us to take her places (Grandma's, church, friends' houses, shopping, etc.) Of coarse, without our regular pattern of going to church she didn't know what day it was or why we were just staying at home. So we went for a walk. It was a beautiful day. But we eventually had to come home for quiet time. I was so looking forward to finally getting a Sunday nap (since we have 1-4 church). Brielle was not feeling the same way.....she talked and jabbered in her bed for 45 minutes until I gave up on the nap idea. By 5:00pm I was so bored I was cleaning! (And I really try to avoid that!) Emma was spraying bathroom spray all over my counter tops. Brielle was coloring on my new kitchen floors. Nick was laughing at all of us and I am thinking that church wrestling is funner than this! Hence, my life needs structure. I need to have plans or a schedule. I think my kids do better when they know what to expect from our day. I know some people function better when they are spontaneous.....I am just not one of them. And this is my schedulomony.

2 comments:

Susan said...

We didn't make it to Stake Conference either! Aiden threw up all through the night. Therefore, I got no sleep and neither of those things are a good combination for 2 hours of sitting reverently (I wish) in tabernacle benches! Glad we're not the only apostates who didn't go! :)

Jylaire said...

I'm totally with you on the structure thing. I always look forward to a day with "nothing to do," and those are the days that we are sitr crazy! I like days when we have at least SOMETHING gong on.