Friday, November 28, 2008

The Countdown

As a child, my mom made an advent calendar from a dark maroon terry towel where she placed 24 numerical Velcro steps that took Mary and Joseph up to the top where there was a empty manger. Each year one of us kids would get to hide the baby Jesus until Christmas morning when the rest of us would get to search for Him and add Him to the nativity. Although this calendar was not fancy, I loved it! This memory is why I love advent calendars! I am always on the lookout for a cute calendar even though I already have quite a few! (My other love is nativity scenes--I have at least 10 different nativities--also related to a childhood memory). This year, when I put out my Thanksgiving decorations Emma kept asking where the thing was that has stars you put on nails. I couldn't figure out what she was talking about! Finally, it clicked that she was thinking about my nativity scene that is an advent calendar (double bonus)! You put numerical stars in the sky above the manger scene until you reach 25 which has the biggest star that goes on the point of the stable. I was amazed that she remembered it since she hasn't seen it for 11 months and I don't remember her liking it that much. So when I saw this Countdown to Christmas widget, I had to put on my blog because it reminded me of all my advent calendars!

No comments: