Friday, July 18, 2008

Our Story..


In honor of our 8th anniversary here is our story.....


Spring 1996
I had just been hired to work for Tinseltown in Layton, where Nick already worked. However, he was a senior and I was a sophomore so at first we didn't associate much. By summer all social "class" was forgotten and we had become friends along with a whole bunch of people from work that would hang out together. I always thought Nick was hilarious and I started to develop a slight "crush" on him, but my friend (another co-worker) liked him as well, so we just remained friends. He invited us to his mission farewell in December and while we were at his house later he had us write down our addresses. Well, over the next two years I wrote him a letter almost every week. In my journal I mentioned that I was writing Nick on his mission and I didn't know why except that I knew missionaries loved mail and he always continued to write me, so why not? (FYI- none of these letters were ever "lovey-dovey"). When he got home from his mission, I was attending Dixie College in St George, but we came up for his homecoming anyway. During my spring break, he tried to call me and I tried to call him back (which he doesn't believe I did), but we never connected. Then, I came home for the summer, started working two jobs (one of them at the movie theater) and saw him at a baseball game of another co-worker. A week or two later he called and asked me out!

First date: June 2, 1999
I was really nervous because we were such good friends that I didn't want it to be awkward that we were out on a real "date". It ended up being the best date because we were already friends. We dated the entire summer and then it was time for me to go back to Dixie (I had a full scholarship plus Nick and I were not serious enough at that point to change my plans). So we committed to talking on the phone twice a week and one of us would make the 5 hour trip about one weekend a month. We could talk for hours every week even though I wouldn't describe either one of us as "talkative". By November, I knew I had fallen in love. We started to talk about marriage. (Actually, he brought it up first)!

February 20, 2000
Nick took me on a Sunday drive up Trapper's Loop. He pulled over at one point to get some cold drinks from the trunk (????) and brought back a bouquet of flowers and an engagement ring instead! A lot of our wedding we planned when I came up on the weekends since I was still going to school. (I graduated with my Associates Degree in May). Many things went wrong while we were engaged (florist went out of business, photographer forgot our engagement pictures appointment, my wedding band exploded at the jewelers the night before our wedding.....etc). It didn't matter though because I was getting married to my best friend!!

July 6, 2000 (Bountiful LDS Temple)
A warm, sunny, beautiful day. They made us kiss twice across the alter because the sealer thought we could do better than that! (ummmm, there were a lot of people watching?!) We were late to our wedding luncheon at the Lion House--our photographer got carried away! It was delicious! Then, we had a gorgeous outdoor reception at Nick's parents house with a buffet of meats, cheeses, veggies, fruits, and desserts!! yum! We spent our first night at the Alaskan Inn and then took a road trip to Lake Tahoe for a week. It was a great!

Happily Ever After.....
I am so blessed to have such a wonderful husband. Through our 4 year courtship Nick became my best friend. The one person I can talk to about anything. His calmness keeps me grounded when I get too feisty. He makes me laugh all the time. He honors his Priesthood. He is the best dad to our daughters. He is a hard-worker, but still knows how to have fun. He is very handsome. He is patient when I get emotional! Amazingly he still loves me after living with me for 8 years! I love him more than I can even describe! What a wonderful man! And he is mine for eternity! Happy Anniversary!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved hearing your story! Happy Anniversary!

Susan said...

Beautiful bride!

Jylaire said...

I met you right before you got married! That seems like so long ago! Congrats! I love hearing how people met, fell in love, and got married!