Wednesday, December 10, 2008

One of those days....

I know this month is supposed to be joyful and triumphant, but sometimes, December just wears me out. Between family parties, ward activities, and work dinners you can get pretty busy; but that doesn't include school functions (unless you count preschool) and (for us) the 4 family birthdays from December 1- January 4. So, yesterday I was feeling a bit frazzled. I felt like I was busy all day (and probably ignoring my kids), yet I accomplished nothing. Wait--I take that back! I did manage to lose one of our memory cards for our digital camera, complain to my sister-in-law about family parties, eat everything chocolate in sight, and ruin our kitchen disposal by dumping a mysterious object down it from our diaper bag. I think I took care of everything on my list! Right after Nick got home, I pretty much brought every one's attitude right down to my low level. Why? All of this is easily fixable (well, maybe not the chocolate on my thighs), but nothing to get upset over. I think it just came during a month that I want to be the perfect mom who provides her children with wonderful Christmas memories yet I am preoccupied with everything else going on. I need to let go of perfection. I don't need to have a cute and crafty neighbor gift, or a huge package for my missionary brother, or race out to get the best deal on something. No one will remember these things. I just need to bring the Christmas Spirit into my home. That is what my kids will remember. Joyful and triumphant! (And......relaxed?) Easier said than done!!!