Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Just Call Me Grandma

Last week, I was out shopping with Brielle at Tai Pan. I was about halfway through the store when this guy comes up to us and starts smiling at Brielle. He told me she was cute and asked me how old she was. Since she was hiding her face, I answered that she was two. THEN, he asks me "So, are you the mom or the GRANDMA?!??" WHAT?! As my mind is processing this question, I answer "I'm the mom" with an expression of disbelief on my face. THEN, he has the nerve to add salt to my wound by saying, "Oh. I was just wondering because I couldn't TELL?!??" OUCH! I was in shock! Am I delusional? How old do I look? (I wasn't wearing my orthopedic shoes that day!!) Now, I certainly don't expect people to think that I am 25............I also realize that sometimes generations can be closer together by having babies really young; therefore, a grandma could be 35 years old (but I don't think this is the norm!) So, is that how old he thought I was? 35???? OR OLDER? (Not that there is anything wrong with 35!) I just haven't quite grasped the fact that I am approaching the 3-0 mark; let alone the 3-5 mark! And I would never assume that a 35 yr old was a grandma! My only comfort was that he did have glasses on, was probably in his 50's (maybe his timeline is skewered), and loves shopping at Tai Pan (strange?) Of course, since this humbling event, my girls accidentally called me grandma, thought it was hilarious, and have continued calling me grandma all week. At least I have a connection in plastic surgery. It looks like I might need a face lift sooner than I thought!!

4 comments:

Susan said...

WHAT?!!!! are you serious?.. GRANDMA?!!! hee hee hee. Thanks for a good laugh. What a nut job of a guy! :)

The Tracys said...

I am still laughing about this! People can be such morons! You look absolutely perfect...and young!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! This person was not seeing correctly! You look very young, definately not like a grandma!

Steoger's said...

That's crazy! But really funny too! I am just shocked because you do not even look 35.