Thursday, October 30, 2008

Traffic School?!?

I'll admit that I have a tendency to speed. When my kids are in the car, I am definitely more careful and only push the limit when I am late (which doesn't excuse speeding either!) However, on Tuesday morning, we had actually left about 5 minutes early to go to Emma's dance class, so I know I was not purposely speeding. I was driving along a semi-residential road (one side of the road is mostly farms) when I noticed a police car up ahead. I took my foot off the gas pedal and glanced down. I was probably going about 30-33 mph. I slowed down even more when I knew it was a police car, but as soon as I passed him--BAM--lights are flashing. So, I pull over and he says that he clocked me at 37-39mph (I don't remember what he said because I was thinking there was no way I was going that fast.) But, I didn't argue, I just apologized and explained that I wasn't paying attention. As I said before, I was not in a hurry, and was not purposely pushing the limit. So, he goes back to his car and we wait. Emma is now worried and on the verge of tears because she thinks I am in serious trouble. I was confident though because I have only been pulled over once before (about 3 years ago) and I have never had a ticket, never been in an accident, I have insurance, my car is registered......I am good, right? WRONG! He comes back to the van with a "citation" (since when did they change a "ticket" to a "citation"? Citation sounds a lot worse!) He tells me that I have to call this number and if I don't want it to go on my record, I have to go to traffic school. TRAFFIC SCHOOL?!? Isn't that were people with multiple DUI's or revoked licenses go? Come on!!!! I am a mom--in a mini-van--everyone has their seat belts on--I have a perfect record--and he is telling me I have to go to traffic school! So, I pull away, and I just start crying. Why a "citation"? What happened to my warning? Then, I start to get angry. No one drives 25 mph on that road (several people I talked to didn't even know what the speed limit was on that road). There was no way I was going as fast as he said I was. A light bulb goes on!! It's the end of the month.....he is trying to meet his quota. I drive home an hour later and he is parked on the same road. What cop sits in the same place for an hour? Only those trying to give out tickets! aghaghaghagh I am still fuming (if you can't tell). Now, in five days, I have to call and learn about my trip to traffic school. It was a terrible, no good, very bad day!

P.S. It made me feel a little better later that day because a friend of mine got pulled over for a registration violation and she told me as soon as he was done with her, he pulled someone else over. Met your quota, yet, officer?

1 comment:

Jylaire said...

Sadly, I am VERY familiar with Traffic school. Way too many tickets on my record. It's not too bad; just boring! Sorry about the "citation!" Never been fun. I just got pulled over again last week, and just today was tailed by a cop for a very LONG time. Seriously! Does my car say, "hey cop, pull me over!?" Just a thought!