Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Surprise!


Normally, I love my birthday. Not this year. I was not looking forward it. Turning thirty seemed like the icing on the cake (no pun intended) to an already tumultuous year. It also happened to fall on Nick's 3rd chemotherapy appointment which meant we couldn't do much of a celebration. So I went along with life trying to ignore the upcoming date....until I found a piece of paper in Nick's gym shorts. It had the names of my 3 best friends from high school and their phone numbers, and addresses to some of my friends in Roy. What in the world is this? Oh no! Nick was trying to throw me a surprise party for my 30th birthday-- just like I did when he turned 30. Revenge or Love? So, I tried to not snoop to find out when this was happening. It was later when Nick practically forced me to see a movie I didn't really want to see, and then took me shopping (which I'm sure Nick didn't want to do), did I realize that he was distracting me while things were set up. Eventually we made it home to a garage full of family, friends, and food. And we had fun! Nick had the idea in the works for several weeks and also had a lot of help from family members. The garage was decorated, dinner was served, and we had cake and ice cream to top it off! It was great to visit and relax with everyone! (FYI on my actual birthday, I ate a delicious lunch from Huntsman while spending some quality time with Nick and then later we went to Farr's ice cream with the girls.Yum)

4 comments:

Jylaire said...

Happy birthday! What a great husband! Hope you had a great time!

Jilly B said...

I am so glad that you and Nick got to share in some "normalcy". He wanted you to forget for a brief time what has been going on in your lives; what a great way to express to you how amazing you are! YOu have been a rock and what an example you have been to the rest of us. YOu are so blessed to have each other; and I am blessed to be able to call you my friend. Happy Birthday Rache

Tucker said...

Happy Birthday Rach, I'm glad that Nick gave you a party! It's good to hear that things are going well, your pillowcase dresses turned out so cute! I hope things continue to go well with Nick's treatment... we're sorry we couldn't make the fundraiser!

K

Tucker said...

p.s. you look great and congrats on the 5k, that's an achievement!