Friday, November 16, 2007

Asthma attack

It all started back in September. I was weaning Brielle from nursing; which meant that my true post-baby shape (#2) was beginning to sink in. I could no longer convince myself that I was hungry (and eating) all the time because I was nursing, nor could I pretend that any extra weight was still in the process of going away because Brielle was now 9 months old. I was also turning 28 which sounded a little too close to 30. So I asked for an IPOD for my birthday. (Why not a gym membership? Well, 5 years ago we bought an elliptical machine for the purpose of excerising and I knew I would never go to a gym. So the IPOD was to entertain me while I was on the elliptical). So I got my IPOD in September. By October, I had looked at the instructions.... read the manual..... and still didn't understand how to download songs. Finally with the help of my Sunday School class (12 yr olds) and a guy at work, I was able to load 176 songs on my IPOD. Now, was I exercising? NO! Then, a friend asked me if I wanted to go walking/running with her (Mel, you know who you are). Well, I definately wanted to, but could I even keep up? So on Monday morning, the alarm went off extra early, I grabbed my IPOD, and headed to the basement. The first few minutes were okay. I was feeling pretty good about myself until the elliptical increased in resistance at around the 10 minute mark. Then, I started to feel shortness of breath. Then, with each breath my lungs started to burn and the burning went up into my throat. I felt like only half of my throat was opening up. Have I developed asthma? Will I pass out from lack of oxygen and eventually Nick will wonder why I haven't come back upstairs? I start pushing all the buttons on the elliptical to decrease whatever it was doing to me but my eyes are watering and I can't really make out the numbers. My water bottle did help decrease the burning, but with all of the bouncing I felt like my stomach was a waterbed. Eventually, things calmed down and I finished the 20 minutes of pain. About an hour later I did feel refreshed-- like maybe I could do this again tomorrow. But not without my IPOD.

2 comments:

The Boyles said...

I hear ya, why does it always have to hurt so bad!!!

Mel said...

Thank you for torturing yourself so religiously on my behalf!